11.18.2012

MUSHROOM STROGANOFF AND CIABATTA

Today was a WIN WIN!! I tried two new recipes and they are both keepers! My good friend Jim Schoch posted a picture on his facebook page, of a loaf of bread he had made. It looked amazing so I  asked for the recipe. It's one of those 'no-knead' breads. I've never tried them, but have checked out the recipes numerous times. After seeing the end result he posted, I decided I had to give it a try. It's very easy, and the bread tastes so amazing.  Ciabatta is known for all it's litle holes...which hold melted butter so well!!

In the fall, we use a large cast iron pot to cook soup over an open fire. I don't use the pot for anythinng else, because quite frankly, it's like lifting a tank! It's very heavy. I knew that it would be perfect not only in size, but it heats well and would make a nice free form loaf.  I sprayed the pot with oil, then dusted heavily with corn meal.  You can use flour if you would rather, but we like the added crunch of the corn meal.  The bread has just four ingredients!! You can speed along the process of rising by adding a couple of tablespoons of sugar or honey. I used agave nectar-just use your choice of sweetener to give the yeast an added kick if you so choose.
 

CIABATTA
 
2 c. warm water
 
1 tsp. salt
 
1/4 tsp. dry yeast
 
4 c. flour
 
(opt. 2 Tbsp. honey)
 
Mix ingredients to incorporate flour into liquid. The dough with be very wet.
I let my kitchen aide mixer do the work! But it would be easy to mix by hand.
 
Cover the bowl, and allow to sit for 8-12 hours. By adding sugar, you can shorten that
 
waiting time.  Mine sat for about 7 hours, and had doubled in bulk.
 
 
Prepare a baking stone, sheet pan, or large kettle (I used cast iron) by spraying
 
with oil and dusting with flour or cornmeal. I believe you could use a cast iron skillet
(I'm going to try that next time!)
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  DUMP bread batter into pan and bake for  25-35 minutes,
 
until nicely browned. The original recipe said 25 minutes, but mine took 35.
 
This bread has a wonderful yeasty smell due to the hours of sitting time!
 
 
I had planned to try a new recipe called Mushroom Stroganoff from a vegetarian cookbook and knew this bread would be a great compliment. Beef stroganoff used to be one of our favorite meals and I hadn't come up with a good alternative since changing to our vegan/vegetarian lifestyle.  When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to give it a try right away! It ... was  ... AMAZING! Richard actually said "did you put sour cream in this??", knowing that we don't eat dairy normally. It really tastes like sour cream, I was very surprised!! 
 
Not only is this recipe low in cholesterol, it's also high in protein. I'll be making this again. It's a great dish for either a pot luck or if you are having guests. It  makes a lot which is nice if you have a crowd. 
 
MUSHROOM STROGANOFF
 
Cook noodles al dente and drain. Set aside. I used No Yolks noodles to cut down the cholesterol.
I think the recipe would be suited to rice or quinoa as well.
 
Did you know you can saute in a small amount of broth to eliminate fat?
Your choice-saute in olive oil or broth:
 
1 large shallot, diced
Then add:
16 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
4-6 oz. shitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thin
4-6 oz. baby bella or cremini mushrooms sliced thin
 
Add 1/2 c. white wine or broth, cover pan, and simmer 10 minutes.
Meanwhile:
 
Drain liquid from 1 package Silken Tofu, and process in food processor
until smooth. I added 1 1/2 tsp. dry thyme at this point-but you can eliminate if you want.
 
Combine tofu and mushrooms, S & P to taste, and the juice of half a lemon.
 
Pour over noodles to serve!
Easy Peasy and so delicious!
Served with a salad and bread it's a delicious, and  easy meal!
This dish could easily serve 6, possibly 8.
 
Another meatless, healthy meal!
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Mmm I want some and you must teach me to make that bread! My favorite was your onion bread!

    ReplyDelete