9.01.2010

BEAUTIFUL HARVEST


Today I was admiring this dish of pears. My friend Tammy brought them to me from her brother's tree. I love fresh fruit in season, and pears are one of my favorites. For years, we had friends who had a big pear tree and they would give us at least one bushel every year. They have passed away, and I really miss those pears! I love home canned fruit for it's fresh flavor and enjoy a simple dish of cottage cheese and fruit during the winter months. 

Another favorite way to use pears is to make pear pie.  It's not a common pie, as pies go, but to enjoy it once a year is quite a treat. It's so delicious. The flavor is very mild and is a real taste treat.  I thought I'd share this recipe since pears are in season now. It's an easy recipe, so if you are a beginner, you can make this with no trouble at all!

SUGAR CREAM FRESH FRUIT PIE

3/4 c. sugar
3 1/2 Tbs. flour
1/2 pint whipping cream
dash of cinnamon
Mix sugar and flour, then add cream and cinnamon and stir to combine ingredients. 
Peel, pare, and slice pears or peaches. Place prepared fruit in a pastry crust lined pie pan.  Pour cream filling over fruit.
Bake 15 minutes at 425, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for an additional hour.
I usually cover the pie crust edges with foil to keep them from browning too much.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you both! I have sort of a fettish for colanders (sp?). This is one of my favorites. I know...kinda weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm printing out this recipe too - we have lots of pears in the garden right now and my family will love this!

    ReplyDelete