7.27.2010

ZUCCHINI TIME !



I am always thrilled when the first zucchini squash is harvested. What that means is that there will soon be more zucchini than you know what to do with! It's the time of year when you may find a bag of them show up mysteriously on your doorstep overnight! Everyone has more than they know what to do with!

I don't like to waste good food, so if I can't use them myself, I try to give them to someone else to use. It's hard keeping up with the harvesting this time of the year and many times, before you know it, they are the size of a submarine! But, even the very mature squashes are useable!

I've mentioned in an earlier post about making a dish called 'calavasa'. It's one of our favorites made with zucchini, but another favorite is fried zucchini. I've also made zucchini muffins, and bread, and last night we had zucchini patties! These patties were so delicious I thought I'd share the 'recipe'. Actually, I just threw the ingredients together and it turned out wonderful! Maybe you can give them a try for something different to use up some of your excess squash.

ZUCCHINI PATTIES
Shredded zucchini squash - about 4 c.
***(At this point, allow the squash to drain in colander for 10 minutes. Squeeze out liquid before adding to recipe)
Shredded potato - about 1 1/2 c.
***( Press with paper towels to draw away liquid)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 TBS. Old Bay Seasoning
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder (you can use minced fresh if you prefer)
1 c. seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 - 3/4 c shredded parmesan cheese
salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients and let sit for a few minutes while bread crumbs absorb liquid.
Fry in small amount of oil in hot pan. Flip when browned and brown second side. Delicious served with fresh salsa and a dollop of sour cream if you desire.
This made about 8 patties

1 comment: