1.22.2011

BLUEBERRY LEMON OATMEAL SCONES


I recently posted about these on facebook and got a lot of interesting comments and thought I'd share the recipe here. My brother lives in Arizona and sent a box of citrus fruit from his trees and I decided to use the lemons to make scones. We've had this scone recipe for years and it's a favorite of ours. It is easily adapted to whatever flavors you want to add such as blueberries in this case, or golden raisins which is one of my favorites. I normally don't add a glaze on them, but since my friend Jeni posted about her scones this week and she had a lemon glaze, I thought it sounded good enough to try. I was NOT disappointed. It was so delicious.
OATMEAL SCONES

2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 c. oats
1 c. shortening(melted), oil, or butter
(of course, the best scones are with the butter)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. sour cream or sour milk
(I use sour milk-1 c. milk with 1 Tbsp. vinegar)

Mix everything together in a large bowl. Drop by spoonfuls onto cooking sheet.
Bake at 350 until slightly browned on the edges.

For lemon blueberry scones, I added the juice of one lemon to the batter along with
1 cup of blueberries.
After baking and cooling for 5 minutes, glaze with lemon glaze.
GLAZE: powdered sugar, milk, lemon zest and juice of 1/2 lemon



1 comment:

  1. did you ever try these with rice milk? I'd like to know if it works ... and then I want you to make them for me. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete