1.19.2011

DELICIOUS SPINACH SALAD


I've had this recipe for spinach salad saved for a long time and finally tried it. It was so delicious and I wanted to post the recipe. The picture didn't came out a bit blurry but I think you can get the idea of what it looked like. 

This salad would be perfect in the summertime as a one dish meal. We each had a small piece of pork as an accompaniment and the two complimented each other very well! There are lots of vegetables in the recipe, and I added sliced mushrooms and some blue cheese. Last week when I bought groceries there was a 'manager's sale' on blue cheese and I knew I was planning on making spinach salad so I picked up a package to add to the salad.

SPINACH AND SWEET POTATO SALAD WITH WARM BACON DRESSING

Peel two sweet potatoes and dice in bite size pieces. Place in roasting pan and drizzle with 1 TBSP of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cook at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes begin to brown and are fork tender.  Set aside.

In a pan, brown 3 stips of bacon which you have cut into pieces. When the bacon is crisp, drain on paper towel and set aside. Drain fat from pan but leave brown bits in the bottom. Add 1/4 c. olive oil and heat. When the oil is hot add: 1 chopped red pepper, 1 sm. chopped red onion, 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger. Stir until veggies are just starting to cook and are no longer raw. Add the bacon pieces, 1 tsp. ground cumin, and the juice of one orange. I added several sliced, fresh mushrooms and blue cheese crumbles before tossing the dressing.

Pour this dressing over spinach in large bowl and toss. I added a touch of vinagrette dressing to the salad as well. It just needed a little kick. Very healthy and delicious!!


1 comment:

  1. I would _never_ think to put sweet potatoes in a salad. I'll have to try this sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete