10.19.2010

SIMPLY IN SEASON - DAY TWO

HOT GERMAN GREEN BEAN SALAD
The tatse of German Potato Salad - with green beans!

While the idea of this cookbook is cooking in season, I used home canned green beans instead of fresh ones which this recipe called for.  The recipe is in the 'summer' section of the cookbook and green beans are obviously not in season now.  I really like hot German potato salad, so I thought I'd give this recipe a try.  I worked today, and on the days that I work, Richard usually has dinner cooked when I get home. I told him what I was doing this week with cooking and blogging and he said he would give this recipe a try. I assured him it was easy enough for him to handle!

While the taste was 'somewhat' like hot German potato salad, it was just a bit too sweet for our liking. Although, I had told Richard to follow the recipe but use two quarts of canned beans. Instead, he used one and used the same amounts the recipe called for. It was too sweet for that amount of beans but not bad enough that we didn't want to eat any! I like balsamic vinegar with green beans and this had a similar taste.

Here is the recipe in case you want to give it a try. I would think that using frozen whole green beans would be a good alternative if beans aren't in season.
Hot German Green Bean Salad
From Cooking In Season


1 1/2 pounds green beans cut in 1 inch pieces, Cook until barely tender
Drain reserving 1/4 c. cooking liquid

3 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
Cook until crisp, drain and crumble. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. of bacon drippings

2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice or white vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 small onion sliced in rings
Add to bacon drippings along with reserved liquid.

1/4 c. water & 2 tsp. cornstarch mixed together
Stir into fry pan and stir until clear and thickened.
Add cooked beans and heat through. Sprinkle with bacon and serve.

3 comments:

  1. I never would have thought to combine bacon, onions and green beans. It sounds good, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, this is our favorite way to serve green beans. The only difference is the 'sour' sauce that this recipe uses. We usually cook bacon until crisp, then cook lots of sliced onions in a bit of the bacon grease and finally add the green beans back in along with the bacon crumbles. It's a family favorite. We sometimes use turkey bacon to cut the amount of fat in the recipe. The only other tip is that I use a black iron skillet. Cooking it in this skillet sort of caramalizes the dish and you get these little specks of blackened beans that are so sweet and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot German ... Man i think u r talking about me :)

    ReplyDelete