10.18.2010

SIMPLY IN SEASON

I'm pretty much recovered from the flu. It was a long week of eating chicken noodle soup and bland toast, so I thought this week I would plan our menu around my favorite cookbook - Simply In Season.  Yes, I do plan a menu each week.  I have found that by planning a menu, we actually save money. It alleviates last minute runs to the store or visits to a restaurant.

I've been making a weekly menu plan and grocery list for over a year now, and it does save money. The other thing it saves is the frustration that comes with having no idea what to cook for dinner!  I usually plan one extra meal so that I have a choice if I don't 'fell' like cooking something on the list.  From time to time, I plan our menu from what I have on hand in the pantry so that I can use items up.  I much prefer meal planning to coming up with something day to day.

So, this week, our meals come from the Simply In Season cookbook. This is a great time of the year to cook seasonally.  We've just harvested beets and potatoes from our garden, and there are lots of veggies in the farmer's markets that are favorites of ours. This cookbook is great help in planning healthy, seasonal meals. I'm looking forward to sharing our weekly menu with pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment