11.21.2010

CUMIN SCENTED SWEET POTATOES WITH RED ONIONS

Cumin Scented Sweet Potatoes with Red Onion

Thanksgiving Day is the only day in the year that I will eat sweet potatoes made with marshmallows.  I prefer savory  potatoes.  Sweet potatoes are a great source of vitamins B and C as well as potassium and lots of other great nutrients.  They are in season right now so they are plentiful and inexpensive.  I  saw this dish on a recent blog post and decided to give it a try. It was very good!!  The combination of cumin and onion was nutty and complimented the sweetness of the potatoes. 

I used whole cumin seeds instead of ground.  They were a nice surprise when they popped in your mouth while eating this dish. I peeled the potatoes and cut them in uniform small diced pieces. I first sauteed a good amount of red onion (our last one from the garden..sad face) in a bit of olive oil then added the cumin seeds.  Saute until you can 'smell' the cumin...they will release their oils after sauteeing a few minutes. Be careful not to burn the onion or cumin.  Add the diced sweet potato and stir fry until they are just beginning to soften. I don't like them mushy..I prefer a bit of 'tooth'.  This is an easy side dish and very healthy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment