11.20.2010

WALNUT CREAM POTATO GRATIN

RICHARD AND ELLIANA HARVESTING POTATOES

Last night we had a dinner party. I made a small prime rib, a potato gratin, dilled carrots, salad, cake and ice cream! We had some friends over and everyone went  crazy over this delicious potato recipe. I wish I had taken a picture of it but I didn't.  It was a new recipe, in fact, I had just seen it this week on the Food Network and it looked so good I decided to try it. 

I've been looking for ways to use our potatoes. We have quite a few in the basement that we harvested from the garden.  Our basement it's cool enough to keep them for the whole winter, so I need to use them before they get soft.  They are still firm and the taste is so much better than store bought potatoes!

This is a very easy recipe.  Place heavy cream in a small saucepan along with 2 Tbsp. of butter, and 1/2 - 1 c. finely chopped walnuts.  Heat over very low heat to melt the butter and combine flavors.

Meanwhile, peel your potatoes and slice thinly using whatever grater or slicer you have. If you don't have a slicer, slice with a knife as thinly as possible.  Place a layer of potatoes in a casserole dish. Salt and pepper lightly, poor some of the cream mixture over the layer along with some shredded parmesan cheese.  Add another potato layer along with the remaining cream and top with another light layer of parmesan.  Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes or until fork tender.  The melted cheese will be golden and form a crunchy topping.  The combination of nuts, cream, and potatoes is so delicious!! I have never had such a wonderful potatoe casserole that was this easy to make. I will be making this one again!

1 comment: