6.13.2011

FOCCACIA - PIZZA - CALZONE RECIPE

Kind of hard to try a recipe if I don't post it, isn't it?! I just forgot, so now the recipe will appear before the post! I'm not a very accomplished blogger, that's for sure! Be sure to check out the next post to see pictures and more info on this recipe.

FOCCACIA/PIZZA DOUGH

In stand mixer dissolve 2 pkgs. yeast in 2 c. warm water (I use rapid rise)

Then add in slowly as mixer is running: 1 Tbs. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 Tbs. olive oil, 1/2 c. veg or canola oil, and 3 c. flour. Beat this with the paddle hook for 5 minutes before gradually adding in another 2 -2 1/2 c. flour. That last amount seems to depend on the weather or something. I usually add the full 2 1/2 c. but just a scant 1/2 c. The dough will be light and slightly sticky but will not stick to your fingers. If, while adding the last amounts of flour, it begins to look like the dough is getting stiff do NOT add more flour.

Sit in draft free area and let rise until doubled. Punch down and knead to disperse air bubbles. Let dough rest for about 5-10 minutes before trying to roll out or it will just spring right back!!

This recipe makes 2-3 pizza crusts. For us, it makes one large thin crust and one thick crust that is about 16 inches. I use stoneware to bake on and it gives a nice crunch. I also spray or oil the pan and then lightly sprinkle with corn meal before placing the crust on the pan to bake. That additional corn meal makes the crust extra crispy!!

Let me know if you have questions about this recipe, and I'd love to know if you try it and how it turned out for you!

2 comments:

  1. Ever since my bread machine broke, I quit making my own pizza dough. But I forgot about using my stand mixer for all of that hard mixing! Another recipe to cut an paste into my notes .... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimmie,
    I think you'll like this recipe. I'm going to make foccacia this week and since it's a large recipe, I'll probaby make a few calzones to throw in the freezer, too!

    ReplyDelete