6.26.2011

SPRING QUICHE TRIO

THE COOKBOOK I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT!

I think my favorite cookbook is Simply in Season. It's filled with delicious, reasonable recipes featuring fresh, local foods. The recipes are reasonable, in the sense that they use ingredients you will find at most any supermarket, if not actually in your own pantry! Recipes are arranged in order of their seasons: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, using seasonal ingredients found in your own garden or at a local farmer's market.

Every recipe I have tried from this book has turned out to be a favorite that I repeat again, and again. Today was no exception! We finally started harvesting fresh arugala along with a few other vegetables. The arugala came on gang busters and we can't eat it all fresh so I looked for ideas in this cookbook.  Spring Quiche Trio, on page60-61 of the cookbook, offers 3 filling choices, and 2 crust choices.

SRPING QUICHE TRIO - pg. 60-61

I had 6 potatoes that needed to be used up, so I chose the potato crust instead of a pastry type crust. I should have baked it a bit longer because the bottom of the crust, where it was the thickest, was a bit mushy or soft, rather than crisp and brown. I am sometimes impatient! The taste was still great!

One filling featured ramps, another asparagus, and yet another broccoli-leek-spinach. We are eating lots of green onions from the garden and I still had 2 nice long pieces of fresh asparagus from the garden(the last of the season) and the arugala. I thought those 3 ingredients would make a great quiche so I adapted the recipe using them. One recipe called for bacon, and I chose to use turkey bacon instead. The result was simply wonderful! It's delicious and I know we'll like it cold for lunch. I think a little dollop of salsa would be great!

The arugala did not overpower the flavors. It's a pungent vegetable, with a little peppery bite, but it was a perfect companion to the scallions, eggs, cheese, and asparagus.  We had grilled tuna steaks and a small fresh fruit kabob for healthy, light, summery dinner!

GRILLED TUNA STEAK, QUICHE, MELON KABOB, ICE TEA



If you have never seen this cookbook, check your local library for a copy. There are really wonderful recipes and some great reading as well! Give this recipe a try. It's not only easy, it's a nice way to use some of the season's produce!

SPRING QUICHE TRIO
 For potato crust: 3 cups uncooked potatoes coaresly grated
3 TBS oil ( I used olive oil)
Mix together and press into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Bake in 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes until just starting to brown. Remove from oven and turn oven temp to 350.


POTATO CRUST


3 eggs
1 c.evaporated milk
1/4 tsp.each salt and pepper
Beat these together and stir in 1 c.shredded cheese of your choice(swiss, cheddar,or feta would all be great). I used sharp cheddar but want to try one with feta-YUM!

FILLING INGREDIENTS


For the filling:
In saute pan, saute chopped asparagus (about 1 1/2 c.) and 8 green onions thinly sliced about 5-10 minutes then add arugala until wilted. Add cooked and crumbled bacon or turkey bacon. I used about 6 slices...just for flavoring. Add to egg mixture and pour into potato crust. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until set. Allow to cool slightly before cutting. Also good served at room temperature!

2 comments:

  1. Delicious I never heard of a potato crust before but looks really good. Your food is always amazing that you cook. Your family is so lucky to have someone like you that enjoys and loves food

    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeff! Your family is just a lucky! Kristina is a great cook, too!

    ReplyDelete