12.11.2012

MUFFIN HEAVEN

I like to think that if heaven has a taste, it tastes like a warm, fresh from the oven blueberry muffin!
Sheer perfection in my opinon! Give this recipe a try and see if you don't agree!

Richard's grandfather was a baker. Fortuneatly, one of his recipes has survived and it's actually one we make often.  I would rather eat whole wheat muffins, which is also a favorite family recipe, but every once in a while I crave blueberry muffins. The berries were on sale this week at the market so today after work, I stirred up a batch to have for dinner. 

Today was also our first snow of the season, so muffins seemed a perfect way to celebrate! Yes, I like snow and feel it needed to be recognized with a special celebration! Since we are watching our fat intake, I adjusted the original recipe to reflect that.  Instead of the 1/2 cup of melted shortening called for in the recipe, I added 1/2 cup of applesauce.  Otherwise I made no changes to the recipe. I probably could have eliminated the egg yolk, using only the white, but I chose not to. I guess it depends on my mood?!

This is a no fail recipe and they always turn out light and fluffy. Having a good muffin recipe is crucial this time of year, don't you think? Soup and a muffin...a perfect evening meal on a cold winter's day!


Quick White Muffins
 
2 c. flour
 
1/3 c. sugar
 
3/4 tsp. salt
 
4 tsp. baking powder
 
Combine above ingredients and add:
 
1 egg
 
1 c. milk
 
1/2 cup applesauce
 
Bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
 
*Note-for blueberry muffins add 1 c. blueberries and decrease milk to 3/4 c.

 


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow look at those blue berries oozing out!Looks delicious a must try!

    ReplyDelete