12.29.2012

VEGAN TAMALES

I don't know if I have ever run into someone that did not like tamales! I used to make them with a pork filling, which is typical Mexican cooking. Once again, I had to look for an alternative that would accomodate our new vegetarian lifestyle! These turned out so delicious, I had to share them with some friends. All the feedback I got was positive, bordering on ecstasy! Quite simply...they...are...amAZing!

I took plenty of pictures so I could post a 'tamale tutorial'. They're not hard to make...just time consuming. I put on a favorite CD, made a cup of hot tea, and made a batch of black bean corn tamales. I believe the recipe makes about 3 dozen tamales. The only ingredient you might have a little trouble finding is the corn husks used to wrap them in. My grocery doesn't always carry them, but if you look around, you'll find them. You'll need one package for the batch.

I hope you will feel confident enough to give this recipe a try. You won't be disappointed! They freeze well so you can make a batch and 'try' to spread them out over a few days! Just wrap in a paper towel and pop them in the microwave for a minute and enjoy!
 
Tamales
3 c. water
1/2 c. oil - I used canola
2 Tb. seasoned salt ( I used 1 Tb salt, 1 Tb chili powder, 1 Tb paprika)
5 c. Masa Harina (you will find this in the Mexican aisle. It's like a flour bag and will say Masa on the bag...for tortillas, tamales, etc.)
I put all these ingredients in my mixer and beat it together.
 
Make your filling. I used corn, black beans, roasted poblano, chopped onion, chopped red pepper, 1/2 c. salsa, 1 pkg. Taco seasoning mix, chopped cilantro, salt. Just mix and taste until it's to your liking!

 

Place corn husks in a large bowl of warm water to soak. Tear strips about 1/2 inch wide to tie tamales. Set aside.
Lay one husk on a towel and with wet fingers, spread masa mixture out so it's just thick enough not to see through. You don't have to be fancy on this step!!
Place a small amount of filling in center of tamale leaving space on the sides for rolling.
 
Roll from one side to the other and bring one end up and tie with strip. Stand up in a soup pot.



Standing at ATTENTION! One recipe will fill the pot. Fill the pot with water about 3/4 of the way. The tamales will be standing in water up to about half. Cover with lid, bring to a boil, turn heat down to cook for 1 hour. Be sure water level is maintained.
 
At the end of an hour, check to see if they need additional time. You will know when they are done if the masa has firmed up a bit and it not mushy. They will be a bit wet. Remove from pan. The tamales are ready to eat at this point, or can be frozen for later.
 
It's like Christmas morning when you open these little packages of deliciousness!
 
I made the tamales for our family dinner tomorrow, and used the leftover filling for our dinner this evening. I cooked 1 1/2 cups brown rice and added it to the leftover bean corn mixture and stuffed into roasted acorn squash. So good!
 Cut sqash in half, baste with a bit of olive oil and salt. Bake at 400 for about 40 minutes on a parchment lined dish/pan,  until done and slightly browned. Fill with filling and heat to serve.
I made a side of kale to go with the stuffed acorn:  Chopped onion, garlic, chopped kale, balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 c. chopped pecans.
 

1 comment:

  1. Love this and your photos are great! We could always do this as a post too!

    ReplyDelete